Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 78

...and he was known from that night forward as Sir Jonathan, Slayer of Dragons.







I am always telling my kids that if you have to explain a joke, it isn't very funny. Breaking my own cardinal rule, here's the explanation for today's photo:
I went to the Plano Balloon Fest on Saturday night to see the Balloon Glow with two of my girls. When all the balloons had their burners on, there was plenty of light for pictures, and my plan was to stick a little man in fthe foreground of the balloons, unfocused, and I'd figure out a caption on my way home later. I held him in front of the lens with one hand and just started shooting. This was the original photo that I thought I'd use:

The balloons looked nice, but I didn't have a clue at the time what I'd caption it with. I figured that was the best shot I'd get, though. Not long after that, this balloon finally lit up:


The balloon glow lasted for another 25 mintues or so. Towards the end, the dragon balloon was the first one deflated by its crew. By the time it started to fall, we'd walked around to the other side, and we watched it slowly sink to the ground. As it went down, one arm fell over its chest, like a dramatic cry of "Help! I've been shot!" It cracked me up and reminded me that I had a new LEGO crossbow, so I tried to get a couple of pictures, but it was too dark to see. At the very last minute, just before the dragon was completely flat, the all-white balloon next to it lit up its burner, and I got my shot. :) It's full of noise, and I probably could have blurred it or smoothed it, but I like it better this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment